Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Hearty Vegan Veggie Soup

(Note: Bear with me on the pictures. Until I get a new camera, I'm having to use the camera on my cell phone.)




I got this recipe from my good friend Katie. Using V8 as the broth gives it a kick and also adds to the ease of the recipe. Also, I really like the addition of sweet potatoes.

Ingredients
-1 large bottle of V8 (I recommend the spicy kind)
-1 potato, diced into bite size pieces
-1 sweet potato, diced into bite size pieces
-1 19oz can of white cannelli beans (or whatever you prefer)
-2 handfuls of green beans, diced into bite size pieces
-3 carrots, diced into bite size pieces
-1 onion, diced into bite size pieces
-pepper, to taste
-2 tsp chopped garlic
-other spices, to taste (I threw in some oregano, thyme, and 2 bay leaves)

Steps
1. Put all of the above in a big pot (except maybe carrots and green beans), bring to a boil, let simmer for about 1 hour-1.5 hours (until potatoes are cooked). I put the green beans and carrots in after about 30 minutes so they're still a little crispy.






























 Note: This makes A LOT, but it freezes well (thaw before reheating).

2 comments:

  1. I didn't have V8 on hand when making a similar soup like this, but used a heavy dash of worcestershire sauce and it turned out super tasty!

    ReplyDelete