Friday, February 4, 2011

Kelly's Truffles

First, I'm finally back from a month of traveling for internship interviews, and I'm excited to get back to cooking and more regular posting!

I got this recipe from my good friend, Kelly, and made them for New Years. They are insanely good. I love that they look pretty fancy, but are actually super easy to make.


Ingredients
-8oz cream cheese (room temp)
-1 pound bag of Oreos (don't get double stuff)
-1 pound of milk or dark chocolate (I used chocolate chips)
-1/2 pound of white chocolate (I used chips)

Steps
1. Using a blender or food processor, finely crush the Oreos.

2. Next, using your hands or a food processor (I used my hands), incorporate the cream cheese and Oreo crumbs.
3. Make little balls out of the Oreo dough and chill for 45 minutes.


4. Melt your chocolate. I did mine in the microwave at 70% power for 20-30 second intervals. This was my first time melting chocolate, and the microwave trick worked okay, but the melted chocolate stayed a bit thicker than I would've liked. If anyone has better suggestions about how to melt chocolate I'd love to hear in the comments!
5. Dip the balls into the chocolate using a slotted spoon, toothpick, fingers, or whatever works best for you.

6. Melt your white chocolate. Melting white chocolate was harder for me, as it seized up twice. However, I found a trick for "unseizing" the chocolate--add a spoonful of vegetable oil to mix into the chocolate and it should smooth it up.
7. Drizzle the white chocolate over the truffles. Again, my white chocolate didn't get runny enough so I sort of had to glop it on top, but it still tasted delicious.
8. Let set. (I put mine in the fridge for an hour or so).

3 comments:

  1. Did you know that there is actually this amazing set of gadgets that makes the chocolate dipping part way easier?: http://www.amazon.com/CK-Products-81-178-Ateco-Dipping/dp/B0000E2OF1/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1296841203&sr=1-2
    I usually microwave chocolate on 50% heat...not sure if that would make much of a difference, though. Also, to mix this recipe up a bit, try using the mint oreos...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how cool! And awesome suggestion to use mint (thanks for making me salivate ;-). And I will have to try lower power like you recommend b/c I think the 70% power probably was too high.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah melting choc in the microwave is hit or miss sometimes. using a double boiler (ts really a lot easier than it sounds) always works for me. so, basically, a dbl boiler is just putting a bowl over a saucepan that has some water boiling in it. just place the choc in the bowl and mix. some recipes also suggest adding a T of butter or shortening (it makes it look glossier) but i hardly ever do...

    and, yay for posting!!

    ReplyDelete