Thursday, July 15, 2010

Bacon, Gouda, and Spinach Bread Pudding

This turned out to be a comforting, easy to put together type of meal. Also, the leftovers were great heated up in a toaster oven the next day. I like bread puddings, but I don't want them to remind me of pudding. In other words, I like mine really firmly set and crunchy on the edges. In order to achieve that I usually reduce the liquid and bake mine for longer than needed. If you like your bread puddings more pudding-like, then I suggest either adding more liquid or reducing the cooking time.
 Ingredients:
-1 large stale baguette, torn/cut into pieces (if your bread isn't stale, leave it out overnight or toast slices in the oven)
-7 oz Gouda, shredded
-3 large handfuls of fresh spinach
-1.5 red onions, diced
-4 slices turkey bacon
-1.5-2 C milk
-4 eggs
-salt & pepper to taste
-1/4 tsp nutmeg

Steps:
(preheat oven to 350)
1.  Cook bacon and chop into small pieces.
2. Saute onion for about 6 minutes, using the bacon drippings for oil.
3. Whisk eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg together in a bowl.
4. Place bread pieces in a large bowl. Pour milk mixture over bread pieces and toss to coat all pieces.
5. Add bacon, onion, and spinach to bowl and mix together with bread pieces.
6. Scoop mixture out into a casserole dish or greased 13X9 pan.
7. Top with shredded Gouda.
8. Cook for 1 hour. (I put foil over mine for the first 40 minutes, and then removed to let the cheese get a little browned).
9. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

  1. ah didn't know I could post a comment so I guess I sent you an email. Oupsss.
    So again, THIS lok really yummy...

    ReplyDelete