Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Jicama Slaw

The first time I tried to make this it was a pretty big fail because I accidentally bought yuca instead of jicama. I had never before bought jicama and had no idea what it looked like, so the yuca that had snuck its way into the jicama bin seemed like it would work. It did not.

So this time I looked up what jicama looks like (see picture below) and made sure to get the right thing.
I have to say, this slaw turned out really awesome, was very easy to make, and will now be in direct competition with my other favorite slaw. The dressing is limey and tangy and I think this would be great as a side dish. We served it on top of veggie hot dogs to make Slaw Dogs 2.0.

Ingredients (makes a large batch, so you may want to half)
-2 jicamas
-1/2 head of red cabbage
-1 whole bunch of cilantro
-1/2 red onion
-3 carrots
Dressing
-3-4 limes, juiced (you want about 1/2 C of lime juice)
-2 T honey
-1/4 C rice wine vinegar
-1-2 T EVOO
-pepper and crushed red pepper to taste

Steps
1. Peel your jicama with a sharp peeler (be careful not to slice off the top of your finger and nail like I did).

2. Use a grater to grate your jicama and carrots.
3. Cut onion and cabbage into thin strips.
4. Use a scissors to chop up all your cilantro.
5. Whisk your dressing ingredients together and toss with salad ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment