Sunday, May 8, 2011

Tofu Miso Salad

This is going to be my new lunch go to! I had picked up a small container of tofu miso salad from New Leaf and was really enjoying it so I looked at the ingredients. Come to find out I had most of them on hand so I decided to recreate it myself. The original had sunflower seeds, but I used crushed peanuts instead.

I've been eating it plain, but I think it would be great in a sandwich or on crackers.


Ingredients
-1 package firm tofu, sliced and pressed for about 30 minutes
-3 carrots, grated or cut into fine matchsticks (or you can just use a handful of pre-cut matchstick carrots)
-3-4 green onions, chopped
Dressing
-2 TBSP white miso paste
-1 TBSP tamari or soy sauce
-2 TBSP lime juice (about 1 lime)
-2-3 garlic cloves, finely diced
-2 TBSP EVOO
-1 small handful peanuts, crushed or chopped
-2 pinches nutritional yeast (optional)

Steps
1. Press your tofu for about 30 minutes. I do this by cutting it into about 6 slices and then sandwiching the slices in between a dish towel. Next I place something heavy (like a stack of books) on the tofu to press out the water.
2. While you're pressing your tofu, chop your carrots (I have a really cool set of peelers from my Aunt Gail that make match sticking really easy. You can purchase them here if interested.).
3. Chop you green onion down to the green part. Crush or chop up your peanuts.

4. Make dressing by mixing all dressing ingredients together in a small bowl with a fork. Dressing will be a thicker consistency.

5. Once tofu has set for about 30 minutes crumble it with your fingers into a large bowl. Add other ingredients and toss with dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment