Thursday, February 11, 2010

Rolled Oat Breakfast Bars

I have to thank my good friend and baker extraordinaire, Jess, for this super easy, super tasty recipe, and Jonathan's mom for sending us the delicious apricot preserves. These were so easy to make that I might start making them for breakfast more regularly. I think next time I'll try experimenting with margarine to make them a little healthier (although I would argue that the healthiness of the oats cancels out the butter)...so I'll let you know how that goes.
Ingredients:
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup preserves (whichever flavor you prefer...I used apricot)
(Note 3/20/10: I did try making these with margarine and they were still very tasty)

Steps:  
(Preheat oven to 350 degrees)
1. Grease an 8-inch square pan (or something similarly sized).
2. Combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and rolled oats. 
3. Rub in the butter using your hands to form a crumbly mixture.















 


4. Press 2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.










5. Spread the jam to within 1/4 inch of the edge. 
6. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top, and lightly press it into the jam.
7. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in preheated oven, or until lightly browned.
8. Allow to cool before cutting into bars.

1 comment:

  1. :D those look so much tastier than mine! glad you're back to blogging ...

    ReplyDelete