Friday, December 3, 2010

Grilled Portobello Sandwiches

So my husband thinks he hates mushrooms and refuses to eat them. However, he also once said he would never eat tofu or drink soy milk. We now consume both on an almost daily basis. I was able to get him to come to accept, and even request, these once "off limits" food by:

1. Being in charge of the grocery list. If no milk was bought and he really wanted cereal, he had to use the soy.
2. Using small amounts of tofu served with other flavorful ingredients, and slowly increasing the amount of tofu used in a recipe over time...thus, he built up a tolerance for it, much as did Wesley to locane powder in the Princess Bride.
3. Being in charge of the meals. If the only thing I made had tofu, then my husband either needed to try it or make something else.

I have been using the same approach with mushrooms with much slower progress. However, I finally was able to combine tactics in this recipe with great success--not only did I get my husband to try the mushroom of all mushrooms, but he admitted he liked it! 


Ingredients (makes 4 sandwiches)
-4 kaiser rolls
-4 portobellos
-8 oz of reduced fat Boursin cheese
-1 red pepper, julienned
-1 yellow pepper, julienned
-1 red onion, julienned
-fresh basil (optional)
Veggie Marinade
-1/3 C balsamic vinegar
-2 T EVOO
-5 garlic cloves, finely chopped

Steps
1. Mix your marinade in a large bowl.
2. Toss your peppers and onion in marinade.
3. Heat a skillet, add a little EVOO, and begin sauteing your peppers and onion in the skillet over medium.

4. After veggies have been cooking for about 5 minutes, baste your mushrooms with the marinade and throw them onto a grill (we used a Foreman, but you could use a regular grill or even a toaster oven). Grill for about 5 minutes.

5. While your mushroom, peppers, and onions are going, toast your buns and then spread some Boursin cheese on the buns.

6. Once mushrooms are done, stick them in the bun, add your peppers and onion, and top with basil.

4 comments:

  1. grilled portabellos are one of my favorite foods, and i used to HATE mushrooms. I've made sandwiches with a roasted pepper aioli (courtesy of cooking light). My favorite way to have them is with a wasabi soy marinade. I love that you are blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasabi-soy! Yum! Do you just mix those two ingredients together or do you add something else? I'm excited to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha - you make jonathan sound like a cat being introduced to a new brand of food :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sneaky!!! Your Jedi mushroom tricks will not work on me.

    ReplyDelete