Thursday, May 12, 2011

B.S. Sandwiches

My friend and fellow blogger, Kelly, made this sandwich, which was originally adapted from this really great article on the top 10 American Sandwiches, Veganized.  I love Brussels sprouts and thought this recipe looked super awesome...and it was! It was so good that I got three other meat eaters to go back for seconds.

I tweaked the slaw dressing and the original recipe calls for sauteing the Brussels sprouts, but I prefer to roast them in the oven.


Ingredients (this made enough for 8 sandwiches)
Slaw
-4 tsp honey or agave
-4 tsp lime juice
-1 tsp cumin
-1/3-1/2 C EVOO
-2 T red wine vinegar
-salt and pepper
-1 C slaw (I used the stuff from a package)
-2 Granny Smith apples, cut into fine matchsticks
-1/2 C crushed peanuts (optional)

Roasted Brussels sprouts sandwhiches
-1 package Brussles sprouts, about 30 or so, cut in half and trimmed
~6 cloves garlic, minced
-lots of sea salt
~3 T EVOO
-8 good buns
-4 T Hummus (the original recipe calls for making your own, but I just used the store bought kind)

Steps (Preheat oven to 425)
1. Make your slaw by whisking first 6 ingredients together and pouring over your apple-slaw mixture. Toss well and let sit in the fridge while you cook the sprouts.
2. Layer your Brussels halves cut side down in a large dish basted with EVOO. Drizzle EVOO all over tops of sprouts, then cover with your diced garlic and sea salt.Cook for about 15 minutes, then remove from oven and stir the sprouts. Cook for another 5 minutes or until sprouts are tender, but still slightly crunchy. Cover with more sea salt (I like my sprouts really salty, like popcorn).
3. Lightly toast your bread and spread hummus on one side.
4. Assemble sandwiched by layering the Brussels sprouts and slaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment