Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Sweet Potato Casserole

This is my favorite Thanksgiving dish, and my mom and I have been making it for as long as I can remember. It's definitely sweet, but I don't think overly so. The cereal-pecan-brown sugar-butter crust is the best part. (Also, I accidentally deleted several pics, so I don't have one of the finished product. Bummer.)

Ingredients (makes enough to fill a 13X9 casserole dish)
-8 sweet potatoes
-1 ¼ C white sugar
-2 eggs beaten
-¼ C melted butter
-½ C milk
-½ teaspoon nutmeg
-½ teaspoon cinnamon
TOPPING

1 C crushed corn flakes
½ C brown sugar packed
3/4 C chopped pecans
¼ C melted butter

Steps
1. Bake or boil sweet potatoes until tender. (If you bake, 1 hour at 350 is usually enough time.0
2. Remove skins from sweet potatoes.










3. Cut up into smallish pieces in a large bowl.










4. Add egg, sugar, milk, and spices.
5. Mash/mix well.
6. Pour into greased casserole dish.
7. Cook at 400 for 25 minutes.
8. Make topping by mixing all of topping ingredients together.
9. Spoon on top of casserole. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes at 400.


Note: You can definitely make this a day ahead and reheat.

1 comment: