Sunday, January 3, 2010

Dill Beans

After lots of traveling and wedding planning, I am back and ready to get cooking.
I'm going to start of the new year with a recipe I actually made last year, Dill Beans. This was my first time making them, and as such involved some trial and error, but I think I got it down enough to give directions, should you be interested in making them. If you're into pickles then I think you will really like these. Also, I think they make for nice gifts (these were some of my Christmas presents to friends and family).

The recipe below is for making enough pickling juice to fill approximately 3 1000 mL Ball mason jars (these are the taller ones). I ended up making 2 batches, to fill 6 jars.

Ingredients (for 1 batch):
-4 cups water (double if making 2 batches)
-4 cups white vinegar (double if making 2 batches)
-6  tablespoons  kosher salt (double if making 2 batches)
-3  tablespoons  sugar (double if making 2 batches)
~7 or 8  tablespoons  thinly sliced garlic (about 18 cloves or 1.5 heads of garlic; DON'T NEED TO DOUBLE if making 2 batches)
~20  fresh dill sprigs, divided (double if making 2 batches)
-6  small dried hot red chiles (optional; double if making 2 batches))
~1.5  lbs green beans, trimmed (double if making 2 batches)

Note: I recommend buying the dill at a co-op or farmers' market because you will be able to get more of it for a lot cheaper than buying those little packets at the store.

Steps:
1. Trim beans and stuff beans into jars. Add several sprigs of dill to jars.








 
2. Cut up all your garlic into thins slices (this is the most time intensive part).



3. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil.
4. Remove from heat; add garlic, remaining dill, and peppers to pan. Let stand 1 minute.
5. Strain out dill and garlic. You can toss the dill, but keep the garlic and chiles.


6. Spoon vinegar mixture over beans into jars until jars are full.  Evenly distribute garlic and chiles into jars.
7. Refrigerate 4 days-1 week, agitating jars occasionally.

Steps for making  2 batches (recommended).
1. Boil first 4 ingredients anew again.
2. Add the garlic from the last batch, but you'll need new dill and chiles.
3. Let sit for a minute.
4. Strain out dill and toss. This time, divide the garlic and chiles up into 6 jars, rather than 3.
5. Remaining steps are same as above.

Note: After Jonathan and I ate a whole jar in one setting, I was sad to see the dill beans go. So I decided to try reusing the pickling liquid by just stuffing some more raw beans into the jar. I let the jar sit a week and the beans tasted almost just the same (perhaps a touch less potent). I imagine you should only try reusing the liquid once, but something to keep in mind.



1 comment: