Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Tempeh Ruben Sandwich

It's funny because I've always loved the idea of a Ruben, well at least everything except the corned beef part. I was so into the idea that I started craving a Ruben, but was at a loss as to how to get one without the beef. Then I came across the Tempeh Ruben at New Leaf. This quickly became my favorite thing to order there, and since it seemed easy enough to make I decided to try it out myself. I'm happy to report, these are super easy to make, and I think just as good as the ones at New Leaf. Also, tempeh is another one of those super-protein-packed wonder foods that actually tastes pretty good (at least with enough cheese and other fixins:).

Ingredients (for 4 sandwiches)
-8 pieces of Rye bread
~1/4 C fat-free Thousand Island dressing
-6 pieces of Swiss (I put 1.5 slices on a sandwich)
-1.5 packets of tempeh (I got mine from New Leaf; it looks like this)
~1 C sauerkraut, refrigerated kind
-2 T margarine
-2 T soy sauce (optional)
-some cooking spray

Steps
1. Slice your tempeh lengthwise in half.
2. Heat a skillet and add some cooking spay and a little soy. Fry your tempeh for about 3 minutes per side.
3. While tempeh is cooking, butter one side of each piece of bread.
4. Once tempeh is warmed, remove from pan, and build sandwiches in pan (I had to do 2 at a time).
5. To build sandwich, place one piece of bread butter-side down on pan, then top with tempeh, sauerkraut, dressing, cheese, and bread butter-side up.
6. (Carefully) flip sandwich after about 3 minutes to grill both sides.
(Note: These were kind of messy to eat with your hands, so we opted for a fork and knife.)

2 comments:

  1. this is jakes fave sandwich. i will have to pick up some tempeh and give it a whirl... thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was super tasty! also, i found tempeh (not flavored) @ publix on blairstone ;) ... it was a little to the right of the curry coconut flavored one

    ReplyDelete