Monday, August 6, 2012

Vegan sweet potato burgers

Someone posted about making these on Facebook and they sounded so good I thought I'd give them a try. When I made them I used 2 sweet potatoes and 2 cans of white beans and added a bit more peanut butter and maple syrup...however, that made about 8 burgers so I reduced the recipe below, which I think will make 4-5 burgers. However, if you want a lot of left-overs you could make the amount I originally did. I froze my left-overs, but have yet to eat them so I can't say how they held up.


Ingredients
-1.5 sweet potatoes
-1 can of white beans
~1-4 to 1/2 C flour
-1.5 T tahini or peanut butter
-1 T maple syrup
-salt & pepper, to taste
~2 C panko
-buns
-2 T EVOO
-avocado (optional)

Steps

1. Cook sweet potatoes. I first poked holes in mine with a fork and then baked them in the oven at 375 for about 40 minutes (I turned them half-way through).2. Remove the skins from the sweet potato (being careful not to burn yourself from the steam).
3. Mash together 1 sweet potato, 1 can of white beans, 1/4 C flour, 2 T of tahini or peanut butter, 1 T maple syrup, and seasonings. Add more flour and/or sweet potato as needed to get a slightly firm consistency. Note: the mixture will be pretty goopy.
4. Form patties and coat with panko. Put the patties on foil/wax paper and let firm up in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
5. Add EVOO to a medium-hot pan and fry patties for about 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and heated through. Top with avocado and serve with a toasted bun.


No comments:

Post a Comment