Monday, September 28, 2009

Chicken tamale casserole

This casserole dish mimics the taste of tamales, without all the hassle of making your own. Also, the jalapeno-cornbread combo adds a realy nice sweet & spiciness to the dish.

Ingredients:
Shredded chicken (~1 to 1.5 lbs)
1.5 cups shredded cheese
1/3 c low fat milk
1 egg
3 T diced jalapenos (add more or less depending on your preference)
1 package Jiffy cornbread mix
1 can cream corn
1 10 oz can enchilada sauce (I prefer the green kind)
3 dashes of cayenne pepper
5 dashes cumin



Steps:
1. Cook and shred chicken. If I have time, like I did yesterday, I do the chicken in a crock pot on low for about 7 hours (I just add onion, garlic, cumin, and chicken stock to pot) because once it's done the chicken literally falls apart and shreds itself. However, I've also made this several times just by grilling or baking the chicken and shredding it by pulling it apart w/ two forks.


2. Mix cornbread mix, corn, egg, milk, 1/3 cup cheese, jalapenos, cumin, cayenne pepper together until mixture is wet.

3. Pour into greased 13X9 baking dish. Cook at 400 for 15 minutes.

4. Pull dish out and poke a bunch of holes in the bread with a fork.


5. Pour enchilada sauce on top.


6. Top with shredded chicken.


7. Add remaining cheese and cook for another 15 minutes.


Serve with a dollop of sour cream. We had green onion and cilantro on hand, so I garnished with that as well.

3 comments:

  1. mmmmmm. Just heading to grocery store to get ingredients to make you famous Tortilla Soup in Crockpot recipe from last winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where does the corn go? I am thinking in the mix, but I just wanted to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh shoot, yes. In the corn bread mix. Thanks for catching that!

    ReplyDelete