Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Baked-Potato Eggs

I always forget that any kind of twice baked potato recipe is, like, 20 times harder than it sounds. When I read this recipe, I was tricked into thinking it would be easy because the recipe did not bill the potatoes as the twice baked kind (even though they totally are). So when I originally read the recipe I was like, "Oh, bake a potato, mix it with some other stuff, pop it back in the oven, and voila, delicious!" However, it did not work out like that...at least not for me. I ended up getting sweaty and cussing a lot as I broke my potato shells and ended up with more filler than potato shells. Despite all this, these were quite tasty, so if you have some time I still recommend them (and hopefully you won't make the same mistakes nor have the same easy baking expectations that I did).

Ingredients
-2 baking potatoes
-1/3 C milk
-3 T butter or margarine
-1/2 C grated Parmesan
-2 chicken sausages, casings removed
-4 eggs
-1 T EVOO
-salt and pepper to taste
-chives (optional)

Steps
(preheat oven to 400)
1. Wash your potatoes and then poke several holes in them with a fork. Rub your potatoes with EVOO and sprinkle with sea salt. Cook in oven for about 1 hour or until tender. (Flip your potatoes half way through).
2. While your potatoes are cooking, cook your sausages for about 7 minutes (or until browned) breaking it up into small pieces with the back of a wooden spoon as you go.
3. Once potatoes are done, carefully cut them in half and scoop out the insides into a large bowl. I did not do this carefully (and I also didn't cook my potatoes long enough) and ripped most of my shells :(

4. Mash your potato insides with a masher. Add butter, milk, Parm, sausage, and salt & pepper to bowl and mix. Once mixed, fill your shells back up with the mixture.

5. Once you've filled your potato shells, make an indentation (with your finger) in the middle of the filled potatoes. Then crack an egg into each hole.

6. Bake your potatoes again for about another 20 minutes or until eggs are set.
7. Top with chives if you like.

(Note: I actually made 3 potatoes when I made this, and just added a little more of all the ingredients. However, I ended up with more filler than could fit in the potato skins, so I put some of the potato filler in small oven proof dishes and carried on from there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment