Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spring Rolls

First, I have to thank my friend, David, for help with this recipe. His spring rolls are much better, but for my first attempt I thought these were pretty good. You can put pretty much whatever you want in them, but I'll list what I used below.

Ingredients
-Rice papers
-Rice sticks/noodles
-Avacado
-1 orange pepper
-3 carrots, grated
-1 bunch green onions, diced
-1 cup cilantro
-1 cup Thai basil (may need to buy this at an Asian grocery store/market)
-2 T lime juice
-2 T soy sauce
-dipping sauce (I bought premade kinds)

Steps.
1. Chop all your veggies into thin slices (i.e., julienne or grate). 

2. Cook your rice noodles as directed and drain. Cut rice noodles into smaller lengths with a scissors. Toss rice noodles with about 2 T each of lime juice and soy sauce.
3. Put a kettle on to boil. Once it's boiling, fill a frying pan about half way with hot water. Add one rice paper to hot water, let soak for about 15 seconds. Pull rice paper out once it's pliable (add a new one to frying pan so it can soften while you're assembling the roll).

4. Assemble roll by doing the best you can. My spring rolls turned out to be more like burritos due to my lack of rolling technique, but they still tasted good.

5. Repeat until out of ingredients.
6. Serve with whatever tasty sauce you like. I suggest peanut and sweet and sour sauces.

Note: You can keep rolls fresh for a day or two by placing a wet paper towel on top of them in a closed container.

1 comment:

  1. I like making a sauce by combining chunky peanut butter and hoisin sauce. melt it together, its amazing!

    ReplyDelete