Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Giant Cheese Raviolis with Sweet Potato Sauce

This was my first time making raviolis and they were actually really easy (although I did cheat by using wonton wrappers). I was a bit nervous about the sauce, but I thought it turned out great. Overall, this recipe is pretty easy, it just takes some forethought because you need to make the raviolis at least several hours before you cook them so that you can freeze them. (I made mine over the weekend and then cooked them last night.)

Ingredients
Raviolis
-15oz part skim ricotta
-2 T minced garlic
-1/3 C shredded Parmesan
-2 T fresh, chopped basil
-pepper to taste
-package of 48 wonton wrappers 
Sauce
-1 sweet potato
~10 T white wine (I used Pinot Grigio, but you could probably sub veggie broth)
-2 T scallion
-2 T minced garlic
-1.5 T EVOO
-pepper and oregano (optional)

Steps
1. Mix ricotta, garlic, parm, basil, and pepper together in a bowl.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or something like Glad cling wrap.
3. Place 2 tsp of cheese mixture on center of one wonton. Dip your finger in a shallow bowl filled with water and brush your finger along the outside edge of the wonton (think of the water as your ravioli glue). Top with another wonton and press the sides firmly together.

4. Place ravioli on baking sheet and repeat until your cheese mixture runs out. I made about 20 raviolis (though I experimented a bit with the triangle shaped ones). Once my baking sheet was full, I just put some Glad cling wrap over the raviolis I had already made and put the new ones stacked on top.

5. Cover your raviolis with saran or whatever and freeze.

To make the raviolis and sauce:
1. Cook your sweet potato (I just poked holes in mine and nuked it for 10 minutes).
2. Remove skin, cut into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Add about 8 or so T of white wine and blend.

3. Place a large pot on to boil. I suggest adding some EVOO to water to keep raviolis from sticking to each other (I only had one casualty).
4. Saute scallion with 1.5 T EVOO for 2 minutes, add garlic, and saute for another 30 seconds. Stir in sweet potato mixture, adding in another 2 T of wine, and the pepper and oregano. Heat on low for a couple of minutes.

5. Once water is boiling, add ravioli and boil for 3 minutes or until ravioli float to the top. While they're cooking, stir ravioli lightly, but often, to keep from sticking together.

6. Once ravioli are done, dish them out onto a plate with a slotted spoon. Top each ravioli with a T of sweet potato sauce. Finish with grated Parmesan if you like.

2 comments: