Friday, June 24, 2011

The Hungry Cat/Winehound

Okay, so the Hungry Cat might be my new favorite restaurant...ever. And the best part is that it's located about a quarter mile from my husband's apartment in Santa Barbara.

We've now been there twice and gotten there early both times, which I recommend: 1) because the place is small and fills up, and 2) they have an awesome happy hour before 6 where their cocktails are half off. I had the best Greyhound ever (the "Greyhound Proper")--freshly squeezed grapefruit juice and vodka served with a large slice of candied grapefruit peel.


(photo courtesy of lemonjelly l)
 
For an appetizer we had Morro Bay oysters, which were also at a discounted happy hour price ($1.50/oyster) the first time and soft shell crab (my fave!) the second time. Really I only started eating oysters when I moved to Tallahassee, so until this dinner I had only tried Apalachicola oysters. I have to say, the Morro Bay oysters were much better. You could really taste the salt water and they overall had a much cleaner, crisper flavor. No tarter sauce or crackers necessary...or even recommended.

For dinner (both times) my husband had clams that were served with homemade chorizo and a really yummy broth with fava beans. The first time, I had the best mussels I've ever had; they came with an "xo" sauce and were served with jicama and baby bok choy. Both of these meals came with big slices of grilled bread to sop up the amazing broth. The second time I got the "pub burger," which might be the best burger I've ever had...served with avocado, thick cut bacon slices, and a fried egg.

Seriously, if you're ever in Santa Barbara, this place is a must.

To cap off the evenings I stopped by The Winehound, which is just a block a way, and picked out an economically priced ($19.99) bottle of a blend of local vineyards.

1 comment: