Friday, June 24, 2011

Mmm Balls

There's a really great sandwich shop, South Coast Deli, about a block from my husband's place in Santa Barbara. The last time I went there I got their "Mmm Balls" sub and then decided to make a version of my own. This is super easy and really filling. I used frozen turkey meatballs from Trader Joe's, but you could use vegetarian meat balls, or make your own...which I've done before.


Ingredients
-loaf of French bread, cut into sandwich sized slices
-package of frozen meatballs
-one onion, diced
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1 jar tomato sauce
~5 oz of fresh mozarella
-few springs of fresh basil, chiffonaded
-1 T EVOO

Steps
1. Saute your onion on medium heat with the EVOO for about 5 minutes, then add garlic and saute for another minute.
2. Turn down the heat to low-medium and add the sauce and frozen meatballs. Let the meatballs cook in the sauce for about 20 minutes.

3. Place about 3-4 meatballs, onions, sauce, few slices of mozzarella, and basil in the French bread and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy to see Trader Joe's products. I approve :) ...and am jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I don't know if I'll ever be able to live in a city without a TJ's again!

    ReplyDelete