Sunday, June 26, 2011

Truffled Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts over Pasta

As many of you may know, I have been really into Brussels spouts recently (e.g., see here and here). So originally I was thinking it would be good to do some roasted sprouts over pasta, but I wanted to mix another veggie in as well. Initially I was going to do cauliflower, but apparently they're crazy expensive right now, so I went with butternut squash instead, which I think ended up being the better choice in terms of flavor and color. Also, because I was making this for myself on a Friday night, I decided to be decadent and top the dish off with a drizzle of truffle oil. This was definitely not necessary...but delicious.


Ingredients (makes 3 servings)
-1/2 a box of wheat penne pasta
-1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed (I bought a bag that came this way)
-1 bag fresh Brussels sprouts (about 20)
-5 cloves garlic, minced
-2 scallions, sliced
~3 T EVOO
~3 T freshly grated Parmesan (leave off if making vegan)
-salt & pepper
-White truffle oil (to taste)

(Preheat oven to 375)
Steps
1. Clean your Brussels sprouts by trimming off the end, cutting them in half, and removing any brown leaves.
2. Toss your sprouts and squash in a large bowl with the EVOO. Spread the veggies onto a large roasting pan (I covered mine with foil to make clean up a little easier). Top your veggies with minced garlic, sliced scallions, salt and pepper.

3. Cook for 12 minutes, then pull out of oven to stir the veggies, and then put back in oven. Cook for another 10 minutes, and stir and replace again. Turn oven down to 325 for remainder of time.
4. Now that your veggies have been cooking for about 22 minutes, put your water on to boil and then cook your pasta. Once pasta is done, your veggies should be as well (test with a fork to be sure).
5. Top your pasta with some veggies (don't forget to scrape off the garlicy goodness from the bottom of the pan), grind some more salt and pepper on top, and if you feel like it, drizzle some truffle oil on top too. Then for a last finishing touch, add some freshly grated Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment